Monday, August 16, 2010

Comp in Australia - Let the rant begin.

So after reading quite a bit about the Nova Open, mostly at YTTH, I've been considering competition scoring in Australia, and why we maintain it. Now, a lot of individuals will claim that comp is neccassary, because of the prevalance of "beardy" or otherwise FOTM army list inclusion. They maintain that comp prevents cheating, encourages a "hobby positive" attitude, and generally makes everyone feel good.

Unfortunately, they are, for the most part, right. Comp does do a lot of these things. It also falls down in other areas, namely, the competitive nature of what a tournament actually represents.

Disclaimer: I make a fine distinction between a "Hobby Event" and a "Tournament" in the following comparisons. Try to keep up.

It may be my bloody mindedness, but to me, a tournament is something you set out to win. There is something primeval involved in outdoing your fellow man, regardless of the contest. I've been involved in competitive sport, at a high level (State representation) since I was about 11 years old. You do not go to a tournament to make friends, to show off your new sporting equipment, or have people marvel about how you kick a ball "In the spirit of the game".

You go there to win. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Being competitive, doesn't mean you have to be an asshole, either. I've made plenty of friends who's faces I have pummeled into the dirt. I'm best mates with guys I previously beat the living crap out of on a rugby field, and who beat the crap out of me. I played a hard game, and so did they, and there is respect to be gained from each other in that fact.

Do events overseas like "Ardboyz" and the Nova Open represent something that shouldn't be allowed in the hobby community? No, I don't think so. I am all for running a hobby event, one where your attention to detail, your commitment to your preparation (both in your ability and in your models presentation) and your overall nice-guy attitude are the defining factors in whether you win or lose. There is nothing wrong with that. Its a big comfy slice of the hobby pie, and it attracts new gamers, and keeps the old fluffybunny ones happy. It's well established, and it has its place.

But a gut's out competition, where your ability as a player is all that counts? I'd like to get me some of that action as well. Nova has hit this style of comp right on the head. Army not painted? No bonus points, but you can't progress to the finals. Acting like a douchebag? Your peers will sort you out. Thats the way a COMPETITIVE tournament should be. It's hard and fast, and you have to be on top of your game, otherwise you will miss out.

I'm the perfect example of why comp doesn't always work. Last two tournaments, I've come 10th. At QM3, I came 10th, with 1 more battlepoint than my mate Wes, who came roughly 25th (or something). 1 Battle point. He felt cheated, and I imagine I would have too.

I am not saying I won't play in comp based tourneys, I enjoy them, they are fun. But don't try to tell me that comp is neccassary, or that without it the game "isn't fair".

Cause I'll tell you the same thing my coach told me when I got smacked in the mouth by players 3 years older than me: if they play hard, you play harder. There's no room for tears when your trying to be the best.

Dan, Out.

1 comment: